Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2011 Stitching Goals - EPIC FAIL; 2012???

So, the only 2011 goal I managed to achieve was to attend 4 Moonlight Stitching events at my LNS. The rest? Well, let's call it a "rebuilding year". After all, that's what the NFL teams say when they have a disappointing season, right? Yeah.

Of course, a status report on 2011 goals brings the question of what to do for 2012 to the fore. I can honestly say I have no real idea. There, I said it. I have no real stitching goals. With so many of my friends participating in various WIPocalypse and other SALs and posting lofty goals (on which they are likely to make excellent progress), I feel woefully inadequate.

I've never made so little progress on my goals as I did in 2011. Most of them I never touched on. I realize this is my hobby and it's about the fun. I've never met all of my goals, but I usually bat at least .500 if not better. But, in the vein of "if you first do not succeed, try, try again", here goes nothing.

2012 Stitching/Crafting Goals

~ Make a t-shirt quilt for Diva as a graduation gift.
~ Finish Egypt Garden for DH.
~ Stitch and finish some smalls, new starts and current WIPs.
~ Net reduction in WIPs by year end.
~ Attend bi-monthly Moonlight Stitching at the LNS at least 4 times.


That's all I'm committing to. ;-) The quilt project should be interesting. I'm sort of a newbie quilter. I've been sewing since I was a teenager, but never quilted really. An awesome stitching friend, who also is an amazing quilter, helped me find the t-shirt quilt instructions. They seem easy to follow and fairly simple, so I think I can handle it. And, if I get stuck, I just might know someone who can give me some helpful hints. LOL.

Here's to a more successful stitching year in 2012. I hope it is for all of you, too!

9 comments:

  1. Good luck with your goals Cheryl. I'm not even going to attempt to set any for 2012, and 2011 was an epic fail for me too. *sigh* I'm just watching all the WIPolcalyse posts and putting my fingers in my ears singing "la la la"!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time spent on needlework should be a pleasure not a chore. It's nice to be organised and have goals but not at the cost of being stressed out.

    Enjoy the time you have and what you achieve naturally.

    Your Mandala is stunning and has inspired me to stitch one in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't call it an Epic Fail....I'd say you were Epically Busy this year with real life! And with your talent at your sewing machine, the t-shirt quilt will be an awesome gift for Diva Daughter (...and I know she'll treasure it). Looking forward to seeing you, Wendy, and Melissa at Moonlight Stitching in a few weeks! I'll be bringing Small Hamam Oasis. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't call it an Epic Fail either - you were VERY busy as I recall. Let me know if you have any questions about the t-shirt quilt, I'll be happy to lend my experience. :) I have a feeling you'll be a natural at quilting.

    Looking forward to Moonlight Stitching too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't set any goals last year and I won't this year either. I am taking part in the WIPocalypse but I'm certainly not planning to finish everything on my list.

    I have to say, I really like calling it a "rebuilding year"! That is very apt if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't feel too bad about 2011, I only hit one of my goals last year. I'm doing some of the SALs this year but not setting huge, specific goals. It is supposed to be fun:) Can't wait to see what you do with your quilt.

    Glad to know people are interested in our adoption story. I wish we had more to tell but we're stuck in that kind of limbo waiting period where we don't have a region or referral yet. Hopefully things will get more exciting in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I refuse to look at 2011 goals. I only set one and still managed to miss it!

    2012 will bring new challenges and new ways to muck up our best laid plans :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't be afraid of quilting! My first two quilts were t-shirt quilts. I don't know what instructions you're using, but the biggest advice I can give you is to use a lightweight iron-on stabilizer on the t-shirts. If you iron it on before you cut your squares, they will be easier to cut, maintain their shape and once the quilt is completed the knit will not stretch out from the overall weight of the piece as it is used. It's a small step that makes a huge difference in your outcome :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How good of you to have such a short list :-) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete